Question Mark Icon
  • Home
  • Ask The Expert
  • Be Aware This Easter
    • Ask The Expert
    • 30 Mar, 2017

    Be Aware This Easter

    Across the UK over 400 dogs and cats were treated for chocolate poisoning last Easter. As little as 50g (0.1lbs) can prove fatal to a dog/cat of a small size as they are allergic to a chemical in chocolate called THEOBROMINE.

    If, like many owners, you cannot resist giving your pet a little Easter treat make sure it is something pet-friendly, suitable and safe.

    Treatment may be needed if your dog eats any chocolate so please contact your vet as soon as possible. It will assist your vet if you can tell them:

    • How much chocolate your dog has eaten
    • What type of chocolate it was (wrappers can be very helpful)
    • When your dog ate the chocolate

    This will enable them to work out whether your dog has eaten a toxic dose and what treatment your dog is likely to need.

    Symptoms to look out for if you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate:

    • Vomiting (may include blood)
    • Diarrhoea
    • Restlessness and hyperactivity
    • Rapid breathing
    • Muscle tension, incoordination
    • Increased heart rate
    • Seizures

    If you have any concerns, please contact your vet as soon as possible.

    Make a Quick Donation

    Latest News

    Black cat Molly reunited with her owner

    Molly, who has also since been neutered by our Veterinary team, is back living with her loving owner Colin who’s…

    Read More

    An interview with a cat foster carer

    Have you ever thought about fostering cats, but wonder how it works? We interviewed Sana, one of our dedicated cat…

    Read More

    Everything you need to know about fostering kittens

    Have you ever thought about becoming a kitten foster carer? Fostering kittens (or any animal) is an incredibly rewarding experience,…

    Read More