As our current chair steps down after many years and the approach of our next strategic period we are looking for an experienced and passionate individual to lead our current Board of Trustees.
How do we do it…?
Thought leaders – We believe in what we do, and how important it is.
Not fluffy – We’re passionate about animals, but we’re not sentimental.
Preventers – The best solution to any problem is to prevent it happening in the first place.
Community focused – Animals form part of our community, whether they live in our homes or on our streets, in the UK or overseas.
People people – A lot of what we do is about changing behaviour in people, not animals.
We are looking for our next Chair with specific responsibilities for:
- Provide strategic leadership to the Board in line with Mayhew’s charitable objectives
- Support the Board in fulfilling its legal duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the charity
- Facilitate the Board’s regular review of major risks and opportunities, managing and mitigating the risks and fulfilling its duties to ensure sound financial health of Mayhew, with systems in place to ensure financial accountability
- Ensure that the governance arrangements are compliant with Charity Commission regulations and Company Law and are reviewed regularly to ensure these are effective for Mayhew’s specific needs
- Join, or where relevant, chair one or more Board committees or working groups along with other trustees
- Lead the review of the composition of the Board to incorporate the right balance of skills, knowledge and experience needed to govern and lead the charity effectively with recruitment of trustees undertaken in accordance with Mayhew’s Articles of Association
- Sign on behalf of the Board the Annual Report and Financial Statements and other financial and legal documentation, in accordance with Board resolutions, including but not limited to authorising expenditure and approving financial commitments in accordance with Board approved budgets, authorising banking transactions and relevant mandates and signing powers of attorney
- In conjunction with the CEO (and Senior Management Team) maintain close relationships with key stakeholders both locally and internationally
- Act as a spokesperson for the organisation when appropriate, representing the charity at external functions, meetings and events
Efficiency and effectiveness
- Chair meetings of the Board effectively and efficiently, in accordance with Mayhew’s Articles of Association, bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision-making process
- Lead the trustees so that decisions are taken in the best, long-term interests of the charity and so that the Board takes collective ownership of these decisions
- Manage conflicts of interest should they arise
- Foster and maintain constructive relationships amongst the trustees
- Work closely with the CEO to give direction to Board policy-making and to ensure that meetings are well planned, meaningful and reflect the responsibilities of trustees
- Agree agendas of Board meetings, approve draft minutes prior to circulation to full Board, and monitor the implementation of decisions taken at Board meetings
- Personal gravitas to lead a significant organisation demonstrating a strong and visible passion and commitment to Mayhew’s vision and its strategic objectives
- Exhibit strong inter-personal and relationship building abilities and be comfortable in an ambassadorial role
- Demonstrate tact and diplomacy, with the ability to listen and engage effectively
- Ability to foster and promote a collaborative team environment
- Ability to commit sufficient time to the role, including attending and preparing for Board meetings and attending events outside of normal office hours
- Experience of operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organisation
- Experience of being a charity trustee, ideally of a similar size organisation to Mayhew
- Experience of external relations, including delivering presentations and managing stakeholders
- Significant experience of chairing meetings and events
Knowledge and skills
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the charitable sector and current issues affecting it
- Strong leadership skills, ability to motivate staff and volunteers and bring people together
- Strong understanding of charity governance and finance
In accordance with Mayhew’s Articles of Association, each trustee, including the Chair, will serve an initial 3 year term to be eligible for re-appointment for a maximum of two additional terms.
Travelling expenses are not normally reimbursed, but may be considered in particular circumstances as agreed by the Board.